10/10/09

¡Yo Soy Boricua! ¿Y que?

¡Yo Soy Boricua! ¿Y que?
Just 'cus I don't have the right acento
Or callos on my feet from walking around the campos
Or know how it is to live as a jibarito
Does that make me an automatic gringito?
So what? I don't have stories of chasing down lagartijos
Or climbing las palmas for some coquitos
Or listening to Don Bernardo tell of his days as a huelfanito.
My stories are of chillin' in the old casitas
Chasing down waterbugs and ratoncitos
And listening to crazy old Papito
Telling about how "Rikers, La Roca, is not joke, 'manito".
As salsa y plena filled the background and saturated my soul.

I got callos -- on my hands, though
From climbing cement walls in the barrios
Got memories of playing manhunt, freeze tag, and dominoes.
You have stories of chupacabras.
I have stories of Carmen, la puta, that chupacabrona!
So, you come from the pueblo and used to chill in the plazas.
Does that make you the owner of the Puerto Rican raza?
But you still say I don't have the cojones to milk a vaca.
Do you have the cojones to dodge bullets and crackheads
And the landlord 'cus Mami didn't pay the rent yet?
Yeah, you speak better Spanish than I do
But I can be mad fluent when I'm cursing you out, cuernú.
Mangos, pasteles, lechon, surrullos.
Whether you like it or not, somos hermanos, te lo juro.
Yo tengo la mancha del guineo in my heart, kid.
The orgullo to be boricua in Nueva Yol' is part of my heritage.
The same blood fows through both our veins
So, don't think because you were born on la isla
That it makes you more boricua than me
'Cus Puerto Rrrrrico was born in me and lives within me.
To be boricua is not about location, but about spirit.
So that's why I can say
¡'Chacho! ¡Yo soy boricua! ¿Y QUE?

No comments: